Question: Can Food Slow Aging?
For healthy aging, what are the best foods to eat? This is a great and complicated question. Some foods provide your body with essential nutrients to fight off damage caused by aging, while other foods create problems for your body. Let's look at how food and aging interact and some ideas about slowing aging with food.
Aging and food are closely linked. This makes sense - it is food that your body depends on for most of the raw ingredients it needs to function and makes repairs. If the food you eat lacks some of those ingredients, then your body can't repair the effects of aging as well. Meanwhile, eating the wrong food (and too much food) can impact how well you age by increasing your risk for a wide variety of chronic illnesses. Here is some basic information about food and aging:
- Antioxidants: These nutrients are essential in reversing the damage caused by free radicals (a by product of your cells' metabolism). Get them in a wide variety of vegetables.
- Calorie Restriction: Mice and monkeys can live longer if they are fed a diet with fewer than average calories. We are still waiting to see if it works in humans (so far, the results have been mixed).
- Anti Aging Foods: Try these common foods for their anti aging and longevity boosting effects.
- Exotic Anti Aging Food: Here are some less common foods to give a try. Work them into your weekly or monthly diet for some extra anti aging benefits.
- Add 2 Servings: Here's a simple way to add years to your life - add two servings of fruits and vegetables to your day.
Read through the information above to get a good sense of the impact of food on aging and give eating anti aging foods a try for a week or two, you just may never go back to other ways of eating.
Back to Aging FAQs