What You’ll Do: One source of unhappiness is the set of limiting beliefs we carry around with us. These beliefs about ourselves, other people and our lives can be like background music playing in our minds that keeps us from being fully happy. This week, you’ll work on techniques to let go of any beliefs that are contributing to your unhappiness and holding you back.
How It Works: You’ll create a "Not To Believe" list. On this list you’ll put any thought or belief that is holding you back or causing your unhappiness. You’ll brainstorm actions to remove that belief from your head. When you finally let go of an item on your list, you can cross it off.
Get Motivated: Imagine waking up one morning with all your limiting beliefs about your life gone. You have complete confidence and determination that you will have the life that you want. We can’t promise that your beliefs will change that fast, but we can give you a method to get started.
- Don’t sell yourself short. Even if you think that some of your beliefs can never be changed, write them down anyway. You never know when a thought or new observation may come along to change them.
- Don’t worry if you can’t finish all the steps for one of your beliefs. That’s OK. Just do as many as you can. The rest will come with time.
- If you are having trouble adding items to your list, include the times you use the word “should” in your thinking. Thoughts like “I should be a better wife/husband/mother/father” can create a tremendous amount of unhappiness in your life.
- If you can’t come up with counterexamples, ask your spouse or partner to help. You may not realize or remember how many times in your life you have overcome challenges.
- If you get stuck on a particular belief, picture another person in your same situation – how would he or she handle the situation? Why can’t you do the same thing?
- Focus your list on beliefs and thoughts that hold you back from being happy and accomplishing what you want to do.
- Just work on one or two beliefs each evening. Don’t try to solve everything all at once.
While you are working to let go of your limiting beliefs, focus some energy this week on creating new and inspiring beliefs about yourself and your world. Think about the person you would like to be and make a list of those beliefs. Next to each one, write some steps that you can take to make those beliefs become reality. Believe first, then take action.
Here is the whole program. Give each one a solid one-week try, and then come back and do the next one. If you want a reminder, sign up for the How To Be Happy E-Course. It is free, and you’ll get short e-mail reminders each day to help keep you on track.