Anti-Aging and Healthy Aging
By Sharon Basaraba, About.com Guide
How We Age
Aging is a mysterious process that we know very little about. In the scientific world, there is a good level of dispute about why aging happens and what causes aging. Each of these theories points to different solutions and techniques for reversing aging. Find out the concepts behind many of the products that are out there claiming anti-aging benefits.
- Understanding the Aging Process
- The Many Ways Your Body Changes with Age
- Turn Back Your Biological Clock
- How Does Skin Really Age?
- Location, Location: Age and Your Hair
- How Teeth Change Over Time
- Excess Hair in Women
- Is Premature Gray Hair Linked to Osteoporosis?
- Changes in Your Sense of Taste and Smell
- Age's Effects on Your Hands and Fingers
- Do Hair Dyes Cause Cancer?
Eat Yourself Younger
Eating is the most important thing you do for your health everyday. You can eat foods that have anti-aging properties and help you to feel better now and live longer, or you can choose foods that attack your body and speed aging. The best part? Once you start down the healthy path, you won't want to come back - you will just want to feel good by eating these great foods.
- Anti-Aging Diet
- How Chocolate Can Help You Live Longer
- Which Chocolate is the Healthiest?
- How Much Dark Chocolate Should I Eat?
- Fiber Intake and Longevity
- How to Get More Fiber in Your Diet
- Chia Seeds and Weight Loss
- Hemp Seeds and Health
- How Many Calories Do You Need, As You Age?
- Anti-Aging Breakfast Ideas
Supplement Your Aging
Supplements and vitamins can be a useful took in aging. For example, Vitamin D is looking to be important to healthy aging. Some supplements may be essential (especially if you are taking certain medications and have certain health conditions), but other supplements may just be a waste of money. As a general rule, get your vitamins and minerals from lots of healthy fruits and vegetables -- but know about some key supplements too!
- Can Supplements Help You Live Longer?
- Try Wearing - Not Taking - This Vitamin
- HGH and Aging
- DHEA for Youth?
- Anti-Aging Potential of Melatonin
- Selenium to Reduce Cancer Risk
- Vitamin D Deficiency and Aging
- Do I Need Vitamins?
- Beta Carotene and Cancer
- Vitamin E for Longevity?
- Vitamin C - A Myth?
Exercise for Anti-Aging Benefits
Your body was made to move. Exercise is one of the best things you can do to improve your health and feel great too. Exercise adds a feeling of energy to your day and keeps everything working smoothly. Every person needs to figure out how to enjoy exercise and work it into his or her daily life. Don't think you have to join a gym or run a marathon -- there are lots of ways to work exercise into your life.
- What's the Minimum Exercise I Need, to Live Longer?
- Simple Ways to Get Motivated
- Is Exercising Outdoors Good for Your Longevity?
- Exercise Adds 9 Years
- Exercise for a Long Life
- Hidden Benefits of Exercise
- Make Exercise Fun (How To)
- Learn to Love Exercise (Really)
Taking care of your skin can both take years off your appearance while helping you avoid conditions like skin cancer. Billions of dollars are spent each year on anti-aging skin care products, but do any of these products actually work? Find out the reasoning behind the products and what they can do for typical skin problems.
- The Truth Behind Aging Skin
- How Does the Sun Age Skin?
- This Ingredient is Proven to Reverse Skin Aging
- Are BB Creams Anti-Aging?
- Keep Teeth White and Looking Younger
- Can You Smell Younger?
- Quick Fix for Gray Roots
- Skin Cancer Self-Check
Longevity and Illness
From high blood pressure to diabetes, illnesses can decrease your life expectancy -- but not always. Learn the effects of various chronic illnesses on longevity and ways to reduce, and sometimes reverse, those effects. Prevent illnesses from happening in the first place, catch illness early, and make changes in your lifestyle to keep illnesses from growing worse.
- Which Diseases are Age-Related?
- Exercise to Prevent Stroke and Cardiovascular Disease
- Cortisol: Why This Stress Hormone is Bad for Your Heart
- Smile for Your Heart and Your Health
- How Dangerous is Fatty Liver Disease?
- How Mindfulness Meditation Can Prevent Disease
- The Trauma of Tinnitus
- Live Longer with Prostate Cancer
Sleep, Aging and Living Longer
Sleep is one of my favorite things - and that's good because sleep helps your body make repairs and stay young. Think of sleep as the maintenance phase of your body. If you get enough, everything stays in good shape. If you don't get enough, there will be problems down the line. Learn simple techniques for sleep well and make it a goal to improve your sleep.
- White Noise and Sound Sleep
- Top Inexpensive Sound Machines to Help You Sleep
- What is Sleep Anyway?
- Health Benefits of Sleep
More Sex, Live Longer
Sex is good for your body. Very good for your body. Having regular sex can even add years to your life. As a person ages, a few challenges to an active sex life may arise. Learn details on how to prevent and manage any difficulties around sex and aging.
Hearing and Vision
Your eyes and your ears are a major part of your life. If they start having problems, your quality of life may change drastically. Learn about the common problems with vision and hearing that are linked to aging. There are some simple things to do to avoid problems (turn down those headphones!) and manage difficulties.